- 1 lb lean stew beef
- ¼ lb bacon, cut in ½” slices
- 1 Tbsp Chef François Classic Seasoning
- ¼ cup red wine
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups brown sauce or demi-glace
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, whole
- 3 white onions, peeled and cut into ¾” pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into ¾” pieces
- 4 celery stalks, cut into ¾” pieces
- ½ leek stalk, cut into ¾” pieces
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into ¾” pieces
- ½ small turnip, peeled and cut into ¾” pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves, whole
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾” pieces
- Bring large pot to medium high heat.
- Sear the beef, bacon, onions and garlic in vegetable oil. Stir occasionally until beef is seared on all sides.
- Add tomato paste, stir.
- Add flour, stir.
- Deglaze with red wine.
- Remove beef, bacon, onion and garlic mixture to crock pot or oven roasting pan.
- Add brown sauce to beef and bacon mixture.
- In same large pot over medium heat, sear onions, carrots, parsnip, leek, celery and turnip and add to crock pot or oven pan.
- Wrap bay leaf and cloves in cheese clothe. Add to crock pot or oven pan.
- Make a well in the stew and add potatoes. Keep them covered with brown sauce.
- Cover and cook for 1½ – 2 hours until beef is tender.
- Remove bay leaf and cloves.